By PHILLIP BANTZ
The Keene Sentinel: April 22, 2009
The Hancock man who plotted to kill the mother of his young son was sent to prison today for at least eight years as part of a plea deal with prosecutors.
Guido “Tony” Boldini, 43, pleaded guilty in Cheshire County Superior Court to one count of solicitation to commit murder, a special felony that carries a 30-year maximum prison sentence.
Boldini and his public defender, Hampton W. Howard, struck a deal with prosecutors for a N.H. State Prison sentence of eight to 20 years in exchange for the guilty plea.
Boldini answered Judge John P. Arnold’s questions about his competency and guilt during the brief hearing, but said nothing else. He was handcuffed at the waist and his head had been shaved since his arrest in September.
Boldini and his mother, Constance “Connie” Boldini, 76, were taken into custody after they met with an undercover police officer posing as a hit man named “John,” and offered him $10,000 to kill Michelle Hudon during a videotaped conversation, according to Cheshire County Attorney Peter W. Heed.
Heed said the case Keene police prepared against the Boldinis was among the tightest he’d ever seen, because of the ample evidence they were able to gather against the duo.
“That’s one of the reasons we’re here for a prompt resolution,” he said in court.
Guido Boldini hatched the murder-for-hire plan because he wanted to protect his 4-year-old son, who he believed was being abused at Hudon’s home, Howard said in an interview before today’s hearing.
“This case is fundamentally a tragedy. Our enormous love for our children and concern for their well-being can sometimes sweep away our judgment and lead us into terrible error,” he said. “Mr. Boldini was desperately concerned for the well-being of his child and simply did not believe the state could successfully protect the child.”
Guido Boldini admitted to hatching the murder plot shortly after he was arrested, and he never tried to place the blame on his mother, Heed said.
Guido Boldini also has no criminal record, which played a role in the plea deal, he said.
While Hudon was not in the courtroom, she wrote a statement that victim witness coordinator Priscilla L. DeHotman read before Guido Boldini was sent to prison.
Hudon thanked the police investigators involved in the Boldinis’ case for “the life you all saved and the lives you’ll save in the future,” along with prosecutors for the “swift and just outcome.” She also called DeHotman a “bright star in her tumultuous life.”
She said she will allow the young boy at the center of the incident to decide whether he wants to meet with Guido Boldini when he is released from prison.
The boy, who still lives with Hudon, will be “able to protect himself mentally” when that time comes, she said.
As part of the plea deal, Guido Boldini was barred from contacting Hudon.
Constance Boldini and her Keene attorney, Christopher F. Wells, struck a plea deal with prosecutors nearly two weeks after Guido Boldini negotiated his deal.
She expects to serve 41/2 to 15 years at a state prison. Her age and lack of a criminal record factored into her pending sentence, Heed said.
If a judge hands down a sentence that is harsher than Constance Boldini expects during her sentencing hearing, which has not been scheduled, she may back out of the deal and pursue a jury trial.